Planet Fitness is a global fitness club franchise with over 2,400 clubs worldwide. Founded in 1992, it offers a judgment-free environment with its unique lunk alarm that discourages intimidating behavior. While Planet Fitness has faced criticism for its limited equipment and lack of advanced training options, it remains popular due to its affordable membership prices, which range from $10 to $22.99 per month.
While it may be an ideal place for beginners or those looking for a less intense workout, if you’re seeking more advanced training options or specific equipment, don’t expect too much. The limited strength training machines and free weights are the main reasons why people choose to cancel their Planet Fitness memberships and look for more optimal, not necessarily cheaper, options such as Crunch Fitness, LA Fitness, or Anytime Fitness.
What is Planet Fitness?
Planet Fitness refers to a gym chain known for its distinctive purple-colored equipment and a focus on cardio machines over free weights. The gym caters to a general fitness audience, often appealing to beginners or those looking for basic workout facilities at a lower cost.
Planet Fitness offers a variety of gym amenities including cardio machines, strength equipment, a selection of free weights, and various fitness classes. Additionally, members can access group fitness training, hydromassage, tanning services, a sauna, and a unique red light therapy feature known as Total Body Enhancement.
Planet Fitness does not offer personal training or facilities like boxing rings, swimming pools, basketball courts, squash courts, tennis courts, or badminton courts, which are typically found in more high-end gyms.
What is the purpose of the Planet Fitness?
The purpose of Planet Fitness is to provide an affordable and accessible gym environment primarily catering to beginners or those seeking a non-intimidating workout space. If you stroll into Planet Fitness, don’t expect to bump into hardcore bodybuilders or folks deadlifting their body weight. It’s more like hitting the gym on a cruise ship – you’ve got your treadmills, some light dumbbells, and enough gear to break a decent sweat. Think “fitness lite” – no beastly barbells or squat racks.
Who founded Planet Fitness?
Planet Fitness was founded in 1992 by Michael and Marc Grondahl, along with their partner Chris Rondeau. The gym was originally named Coastal Fitness, but in 2002, the brothers acquired the rights to the name Planet Fitness and rebranded their franchise. The first franchised location was opened in Florida in 2003.
How does Planet Fitness work?
Planet Fitness works as a standard gym open seven days a week and allows walk-ins without the need for an appointment. Most locations offer the convenience of 24-hour access, and for group fitness classes that have limited space, booking may be necessary to secure a spot. The gym’s hours of operation and class schedules can vary by location, so it’s best to check with your local club for specific details. One of the closest Planet Fitness near me is open from 4 am to 10 pm, but most of them are open 24 hours.
Planet Fitness is good for clients with general fitness goals like weight loss and muscle building with its range of basic equipment and access to fitness classes. However, for those recovering from surgery or dealing with serious mobility issues, the gym’s offerings may fall short.
During my workouts, I’ve noticed that the majority of gym-goers, particularly those in their 20s to 40s, tend to gravitate towards cardio machines rather than weights. The gym itself is always well-maintained and clean, but it falls short in terms of offering heavier weights, which doesn’t quite align with my training preferences.
Nevertheless, I continue to use it because I hold a Planet Fitness black card membership. This membership comes in handy for me as I travel frequently and visit various Planet Fitness gyms in different cities. While Planet Fitness may not be the perfect fit for my workout needs, it certainly gets the job done.
How does Planet Fitness work for people with different fitness levels?
Planet Fitness is well-suited for individuals at varying fitness levels looking to meet the recommended 150-300 minutes of moderate-intensity physical activity per week. It’s particularly beneficial for those with sedentary jobs, like office workers, IT professionals, and call center agents, by providing a space to incorporate regular exercise and muscle-strengthening activities into their routine. Even individuals in professions with varying physical demands, such as teachers, truck drivers, and hairdressers, can find opportunities at Planet Fitness to increase mobility and improve overall health.
What does Planet Fitness look like?
Planet Fitness looks like a gym from the 90s because of its retro color scheme and simple, no-fuss equipment that takes you back to the days of neon headbands and leg warmers. Planet Fitness does not look like a typical modern, high-tech gym, lacking fancy gadgets and heavy-duty weightlifting equipment.
From the inside, cardio machines dominate the scene, with limited availability of Smith machines and no barbells or squat racks, making it more of a cardio haven than a bodybuilder’s paradise. During the day, it can get busy, especially during peak hours, but the gym has a spacious layout that can accommodate a moderate number of people without feeling like a sardine can.
What are the benefits of Planet Fitness?
The following are the benefits of Planet Fitness.
- Access to a variety of gym equipment, including cardio machines, resistance machines, and dumbbells weighing up to 50-75 lbs.
- Amenities such as showers, locker rooms, and free Wi-Fi.
- Friendly and helpful staff, creating a positive environment for your fitness journey.
- Unique purple-themed interior design, enhancing comfort and motivation during workouts.
- Special features like PE@PF sessions for beginners, provide tailored guidance and support.
- Specific muscle group workouts, targeting different areas of the body for comprehensive training.
- Overall, a well-rounded fitness experience that caters to various fitness levels and goals.
What are the drawbacks of Planet Fitness?
Here are seven primary drawbacks of Planet Fitness.
- Limited availability of heavy weights for advanced strength training.
- Lack of barbells and dumbbells with higher weight ranges.
- Focus on aesthetics rather than mastery of strength training.
- Potential lack of equipment for individuals with specific strength goals.
- Limited options for individuals requiring a wide range of heavyweights.
- May not have the necessary equipment to achieve strength goals quickly.
- Other gyms may provide better options for individuals focused on strength training.
One thing I don’t like about Planet Fitness is the lack of Personal Training because it leaves newbies and gym rookies hanging, trying to figure out their bicep curls from their burpees without a pro to guide them. This gym is an excellent place for anyone over 50 or 60 but with the lack of trainers, it’s a bit like throwing your granny into a dance party without teaching her the moves first.
What is the Planet Fitness membership cost?
The membership cost at Planet Fitness varies depending on the options you choose. The Classic membership starts at $10 per month (that’s $120 a year) and allows access to one location and standard equipment. The Black Card membership at Planet Fitness, priced at $22.99 monthly or roughly $275.88 for the whole year, unlocks some sweet extras. You get access to every Planet Fitness location, can bring a guest whenever you want, and enjoy a cool 50% off on select drinks.
What is the average annual membership price for Planet Fitness?
The average annual membership price for Planet Fitness ranges from $120 to $276, depending on the location, membership type, and promotions. Monthly fees can vary from $10 to $22.99, with an additional annual fee of approximately $39 for certain membership types. It’s important to note that prices may differ between Planet Fitness locations and can be influenced by current promotions or discounts.
What are the membership discounts available at Planet Fitness?
Here are seven membership discounts available at Planet Fitness:
- Student Membership Costs: Planet Fitness provides discounted rates for students, making it more affordable for those pursuing their education.
- Summer Pass for Teens: Planet Fitness offers a special summer pass for teenagers aged 14-19, allowing them to stay active during their school break.
- Annual Fee Payment Option: Some Planet Fitness locations offer the option to pay for a full year upfront, resulting in additional savings compared to monthly payments.
- Military Discount: Planet Fitness provides a military discount for active-duty military personnel and their families, offering them reduced rates on membership fees.
- Employee Wellness Program: Certain employers have partnerships with Planet Fitness, allowing their employees to receive discounted membership rates as part of their wellness program.
- AAA Membership Discount: AAA members can enjoy discounted rates on Planet Fitness memberships as a benefit of their AAA membership.
- Senior Discount: Planet Fitness offers discounted membership rates for seniors, catering to their specific fitness needs and budget.
Who is eligible for a Planet Fitness free trial?
Anyone considering joining Planet Fitness can snag a free trial pass. Just pop into your local gym and ask about their trial deals. These Planet Fitness free trials, often good for a day or a week, let you test-drive the gym’s gear and classes to see if it’s a fit for you. But keep in mind, the free trial’s length and availability might change depending on the gym’s location.
How much does it cost to hire a personal trainer at Planet Fitness?
You can’t hire a personal trainer at Planet Fitness, as they don’t offer personal training services.
Is Planet Fitness membership worth the money?
Yes, Planet Fitness membership is worth it because it’s easy on the wallet and great for anyone who wants a no-fuss, welcoming gym environment to work out on their terms. However, a Planet Fitness membership may not be worth the money for individuals seeking serious strength training. Planet Fitness lacks barbells and heavy dumbbells, which are essential for advanced strength training.
How to cancel a Planet Fitness membership?
To cancel your Planet Fitness membership, follow these steps.
- Decide whether to cancel in person or via certified letter.
- For in-person cancellations, visit your local Planet Fitness gym.
- Speak with a staff member at the front desk.
- Request the necessary forms for cancellation.
- Follow the guidance provided by the staff member.
- If canceling via certified letter, write a letter stating your intent to cancel.
- Send the letter as a certified letter to the Planet Fitness corporate office.
- Consider freezing your membership if you have proof of injury or illness.
- Remember, memberships are not transferable, so ensure proper cancellation if you no longer wish to be a member.
What types of equipment are available at Planet Fitness?
At Planet Fitness, you can find the following types of equipment.
- Stationary bikes
- Leg press machines
- Chest press machines
- Lat pulldown machines
- Leg curl machines
Does Planet Fitness have a deadlifting machine?
When it comes to deadlifts at Planet Fitness, it’s worth noting that they typically don’t provide the equipment or encourage heavy lifting, as their focus is on creating a non-intimidating workout environment.
Who is Planet Fitness good for?
Planet Fitness is ideal for anyone looking for an affordable and accessible gym, especially students, seniors, travelers, those aiming to lose weight, and individuals seeking to get in shape. However, it might not be the best choice for powerlifters or bodybuilders due to the absence of heavy-duty equipment like squat racks and Olympic weights.
What are the Planet Fitness age requirements?
To join Planet Fitness, you must be at least 13 years old. If you are between the ages of 13 and 17, a parent or legal guardian must sign a waiver on your behalf.
Is Planet Fitness safe?
Yes, Planet Fitness is a safe environment for your fitness journey. The gym enforces strict rules to maintain a peaceful and respectful atmosphere, ensuring zero tolerance for disruptive behavior.
How often should you go to Planet Fitness?
You should aim to visit Planet Fitness 3-5 times per week, for 30-60 minutes each session. This recommendation aligns with the guidelines from a 2019 study by Yun Jun Yang from Inje University Ilsan Paik Hospital, which advises adults to engage in 150–300 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic activity or 75–150 minutes of vigorous-intensity aerobic activity weekly, plus muscle-strengthening activities on two or more days per week.
What are the opening hours for Planet Fitness locations?
Planet Fitness locations have varying opening hours, so it is recommended to check with your local gym for their specific schedule. However, many Planet Fitness locations are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, providing members with the flexibility to work out at any time. This 24/7 availability is beneficial for individuals with busy lifestyles or non-traditional work hours.
What’s the dress code at Planet Fitness?
Planet Fitness doesn’t enforce an official dress code, but they generally expect members to wear appropriate athletic attire. It’s common to see gym-goers in typical workout clothes like shorts, t-shirts, leggings, and proper athletic shoes.
Does Planet Fitness have a sauna?
No, Planet Fitness does not have a sauna. Saunas are not available at any Planet Fitness location as a standard amenity. However, Planet Fitness offers other amenities such as massage beds and tanning beds. Members can also enjoy free Wi-Fi and discounts on drinks from the smoothie bar.
Which gyms are similar to Planet Fitness?
Gyms similar to Planet Fitness include Gold’s Gym, 24 Hour Fitness, Anytime Fitness, Crunch Fitness, LA Fitness, Equinox, and YMCA. These gyms provide a similar atmosphere and amenities to Planet Fitness, allowing individuals to work out at their own pace and enjoy a non-judgmental environment.
- Gold’s Gym: With a diverse range of fitness equipment and classes, Gold’s Gym is a popular choice for individuals seeking a well-rounded workout experience.
- 24 Hour Fitness: Providing 24/7 access and a wide variety of equipment and classes, 24 Hour Fitness accommodates busy individuals and emphasizes flexibility in their fitness routine.
- Anytime Fitness: Offering round-the-clock access, Anytime Fitness provides a range of equipment and personalized training options to help individuals achieve their fitness goals at their convenience.
- Crunch Fitness: Known for its energetic and inclusive atmosphere, Crunch Fitness offers a variety of classes and equipment to cater to different fitness preferences.
- LA Fitness: With spacious facilities and a wide range of equipment, LA Fitness provides individuals with the resources they need to achieve their fitness goals.
- Equinox: Catering to individuals seeking a premium fitness experience, Equinox offers high-end amenities, personalized training, and a luxurious atmosphere.
- YMCA: A community-oriented gym, YMCA provides a variety of fitness programs, classes, and amenities for individuals of all ages and fitness levels.
What are the differences between Planet Fitness vs Gold’s Gym?
Planet Fitness and Gold’s Gym differ in terms of gym facilities, amenities, and membership options. LA Fitness generally offers a larger and more comprehensive selection of equipment, including barbells, squat racks, and heavy dumbbells, while Planet Fitness focuses primarily on cardio machines.
What are the differences between Planet Fitness vs Crunch Fitness?
Planet Fitness primarily focuses on cardio machines and offers limited strength training equipment. In contrast, Crunch Fitness provides a wider range of equipment, including barbells, boxing bags, Smith machines, and squat racks, catering to individuals looking for more diverse strength training options.