I use peloton bike daily but on the days when I travel I also use the peloton app workouts that don’t require the bike.
Today I gonna show you how to use a peloton without the bike and list my favorite classes that can be done off the bike, as well as give you a sample of a weekly workout plan.
- You can use a peloton without the bike becasue the company offers a peloton digital app where you can join all the workouts, without having a bike or a tread.
- Nine types of classes don’t require a bike like strength, yoga, cardio, or outdoor running.
- You can access the peloton classes library directly from your mobile device or TV.
Keep reading if you wanna know how to get the most out of your peloton app and which are the most recommended classes that don’t require a bike or a tread.
You can do Peloton classes without the bike
Peloton rides are great but apart from the bike workouts, you can also do hundreds of workouts that are done on the mat.
This way you can not only test drive the peloton digital membership before deciding to go for all-access membership but also work on strength and flexibility to supplement your cardio training.
In a nutshell.
- You can do peloton classes without the bike on the laptop or computer because all classes can be streamed from the peloton app.
- They include strength, yoga, meditation, cardio, running, walking, stretching, and Bootcamp.
Peloton has more non-cycling classes in the peloton app
That’s right. If you count all their workouts, it turns out there are more peloton classes that do not require a bike than rides.
This makes it even more valuable for everyone who just wants to join the class and doesn’t have access to a bike.
What I like about these classes is they offer several exercise tutorials that you wouldn’t get in any other app or even a live class.
Those short single exercise breakdowns teach you how to safely perform an exercise (or a yoga pose), which is great for beginners.
You can use peloton on other bikes
Yes, you can use a peloton on other bikes because the peloton app can be streamed directly from your mobile device like a phone or tablet.
You can also connect a cadence sensor to your peloton app that will track your metrics, even if you don’t have the peloton bike or bike+.
There are some limitations
One of the biggest drawbacks of using a peloton without a bike is the lack of metrics and a leaderboard.
This means you cannot really track your performance analytics and compare them with the previous classes (more on that later).
Best Peloton classes without bike
Below you can find the list of the peloton classes that I use (and recommend) for you to try. All you need is to sign up for a free trial of peloton digital membership and you are good to go.
In case you like it, the peloton app without the bike is only $12.99/month and unlocks literally thousands of workouts that don’t require any cardio equipment.
1. Strength Classes
In a nutshell.
- Peloton strength is a series of classes that don’t require a bike or a tread.
- It has over 4,500 sessions that are further divided by the duration or difficulty level.
What I like about peloton strength classes is they can be done on their own, or as a combination with other workouts.
You don’t need much equipment
The equipment needed for peloton strength classes includes dumbells, an exercise mat, and a towel.
Some classes don’t even require any equipment at all as the exercises are based on bodyweight moves.
What I also like about the strength series is it can be filtered further by class types like full-body, pilates, barre, or core.
This helps to focus on the areas of the body that you need to strengthen. Plus, it can be done by all levels of fitness.
2. Yoga Classes
Another class that can be done without the bike is the peloton yoga series. I always recommend this class to my clients who want to learn the basics of yoga but feel slightly intimidated going to the local yoga studio.
In a nutshell.
- Peloton yoga is good for both advanced yogis and beginners.
- On the one side peloton has many difficult sessions like power flow. On the other side, it has several tutorials on how to do yoga poses.
This means you can take your time, regardless of your flexibility, and really focus on the positions that you need to improve.
For example, if your hamstrings are tight, you open the yoga class that is specifically designed to improve your hamstring range of motion.
The classes vary in duration from 5 to 75 minutes and can accommodate highly skilled practitioners, as well ca complete newbies.
Keep in mind that you need more than just a mat. Some classes require to have a lot of yoga equipment like bolsters, yoga straps, and yoga blocks.
3. Running Classes
Peloton has multiple running programs that can be done on the tread. It also has many outdoor running programs that range from steady-state to interval training.
In a nutshell.
- Peloton running classes are single workouts that help to improve your aerobic fitness, speed up recovery, or even teach you running skills.
- Running skills include teachings on running technique, progression timeframe, or correct posture during the foot strike.
You can learn all those details in the peloton for runners tutorials.
These are all important if you want to reduce injury rates, especially during long-distance runs.
So whenever you’re looking for a marathon training plan, or simply move more to lose extra weight, the peloton app has over 2,000 running classes that don’t require access to a bike.
4. Bootcamp Classes
The Peloton bootcamp series can be done either with or without the bike. You can learn more about how I lost weight with the peloton bootcamp in my article.
In a nutshell.
- Peloton bootcamp includes hundreds of sessions that combine cardio together with strength training.
- You can use either bike or any other cardio equipment (e.g. you can do a peloton elliptical workout).
In fact, you can even substitute the cardio part with exercises like farmers’ walks, jumping jacks, or anything that will elevate up your heart rate.
This is one of the best peloton workouts for weight loss, very similar to Orangetheory fitness. Classes are between 30 to 60 minutes long.
You use a set of dumbbells (or just bodyweight) together with cardio time.
5. Cardio Classes
Another workout that doesn’t require a bike is the peloton cardio classes. Those types of classes are similar to very popular T25 or Insanity workouts, where you use just your own body weight (or small weights).
Here is the video that illustrates what to expect from peloton cardio classes.
As you can see, you will do a lot of high-intensity interval types of moves.
If you like to get your heart rate up in a short period of time, those classes are a perfect fit. They can be done on their own, or as a part of a more compound workout.
What I like about this workout is they also have peloton dance classes (something like a Zumba class) and family sessions (which can be done with kids).
I use peloton cardio as my conditioning, typically at the end of my strength training.
How to do Peloton without the bike?
Peloton Workout Plan Without Bike
- To create your own peloton workout plan without the bike I recommend adding a large variety of classes.
- This way you can target all components of fitness like strength, flexibility, endurance, power, or motor skills.
- So you can see not only better results and improve your overall fitness but also don’t get bored with the classes.
What you need
- All you need is access to the internet and a peloton digital app installed on your laptop or mobile device.
- From there, you simply open the app and select which class you want to join.
- You will notice that the classes can be filtered by duration and difficulty level.
Peloton weekly workout plan without bike
In the table below you can find the peloton weekly workout plan for no-bike users.
|Monday||20-minute Glutes and Legs Workout|
20-minute Yoga Flow
|Tuesday||30-minute HIIT Cardio|
20-minute House Walk
|Wednesday||45-minute Fullbody Bootcamp (with elliptical)|
|Thursday||30-minute Power Walk|
|Friday||30-minute Tempo Run|
20-minutes Restorative Yoga
|Saturday||20-minute Upper-Body Strength|
30-minute Hike Walk
|Sunday||30-minute Restorative Yoga|
As you can see, I’ve included two types of workouts on most of days.
This helps to add variety.
All you need is to reduce the class duration and once one class is done, simply carry on to another.
Tips on how to use peloton without the bike
There are some principles you need to remember when you want to combine the classes.
- Always do warm-ups before the class (most of the peloton classes include warmups anyway).
- Start from strength and HIIT first (strength or HIIT sessions stimulate your sympathetic response. This helps you to have more energy for the class.
- Do stretching or yoga as a second workout (Yoga and peloton stretch classes are more relaxing classes. They stimulate your parasympathetic response. You want that after your main workout).
- Allow for at least 1-2 days off (schedule in advance at least one day where you can recover. This doesn’t mean doing anything. This means you can do something more relaxing to help you down-regulate).
Is the Peloton App worth it without the bike?
As a whole, the peloton app is worth it without the bike because you get access to over 25,000 on-demand classes across 11 different categories.
Plus, 37 peloton programs range from 1 to 18 weeks and several tutorials of single exercises, yoga poses, or movement skills
How much is the peloton app without the bike?
As a whole, access to the peloton app without the bike requires a monthly fee of $12.99.
The company provides a first-month free trial where you can check the app, try the classes, and see if this is something you’re looking for.
However, you’re still required to provide your payment details.
You won’t get the Peloton leaderboard without a bike
Getting on the peloton leaderboard means you can see your metrics and compare your results from the current ride with others as well as with all-time best records.
This means you can see the best historical data and best performers from that ride.
In general, you cannot get on the peloton leaderboard without a peloton bike because this feature can only be reached directly from the peloton screen for all-access members.
To be clear, you still can see the leaderboard on the peloton app in the right corner. However, this feature is limited on the peloton digital app because it only shows you who is in the class.
It doesn’t show you any metrics, performance, and stats for each ride.
- You can get peloton classes without the bike.
- According to statistics, over 90 million classes are done in the peloton every 3 months, mostly by the people who don’t own the bike.
- This shows that the peloton is getting more and more popular.
- In the past, they used to have only bike classes.
- However, today you can find thousands of other non-bike sessions that you can stream on-demand for the price of a large coffee.